Answers to "War of the Worlds"
Answers: Part One
- This means that someone, or something, was inside and coming out.
- In this context, it means clumsily bumped into.
- The metal makes a noise which travels around your head, giving you a terrible headache.
- This is a round-shaped, deep hole.
- They are humans
- It is normally used for describing wind in a boat’s sails.
- The hole would be dark and luminous objects stand out really well in these conditions, almost “lighting up”.
- They tell you that the creature did not keep still.
- People were shouting and screaming things which may not have been actual words due to the panic.
- When someone is “petrified” their fear makes them unable to move, like a fossil.
Answers: Part Two
- The Martian stared hard at the man.
- It wasn’t a face as we understand it but it had some features which indicated it was a face.
- This means that it is throbbing like a heartbeat but in an uncontrollable and erractic way like someone having a fit.
- The prefix “in” means “not” and so this means it could not stop its mouth shaking.
- The Martian is struggling to breathe in the Earth’s atmosphere.
- The creature must be damp and warm and spend time in the dark to have a fungus-like skin.
- The cry would be something unheard of before with a deep, straining sound.
- Another creature came out straight away.
- He was running so quickly that he couldn’t control his brain or legs to run straight.
- It was so awful and surprising that he had to look to convince himself that it was real.